joining in with various bloggers (originating here at marcias healthy slice) to post about one of my new favorite things (if you can even imagine!)... running on the treadmill! whoa.
im sure this surprises many of you that i am actually calling the treadmill "one of my new favorite things". trust me when i say i wish it wasnt true. when the weather is above 30 degrees youll find me outside more, but in this damn polar vortex whatever the heck theyre calling it (winter perhaps? its just freaking cold!), ill stay inside thanks. tank tops and shorts fit me much better (and cost way less!) than 800 layers of cold weather fleece everything. but worry not, the crazy girl in me is still there... the gym opens at 4am, and my runs start anywhere between 4 and 430am, just like the summer! (speaking of summer... please come soon, thanks!)
ok so anyway... the treadmill. i dont own one. and if i did, my basement (where it would be) is about as cold as it is outside. so lets not be silly, that wont be happening. i pay $10/month for my gym membership which is 3.1 miles away from my house. i run at the gym approximately 3, maybe 4, months out of the year. i would never spend the money for a treadmill (although i know it has its benefits. but i just wont do it. im sure it would quickly become a clothes dryer and collect dust).
training for maine coast marathon started jan 6th. since then i have done 9 of the 11 runs on the treadmill, totaling 77 miles. the gym has two different types of treadmills and i have found that i like a certain one over the other. each treadmill has its own tv which helps as a distraction.
1. What’s your favorite workout to do on a treadmill? hmmm running? i dont (or havent, yet) done any sort of "workout" other than just running. i dont add any incline (im a wimp), and i really dont understand how the different workout options the treadmill has work. i have done a few speedwork workouts on there, which i like because it gives you what your pace is and you just run it. i find that easier than trying to hit speeds out on the road and constantly having to look at your watch.
2. How many miles, on average, do you run on the mill each week? well since this training for maine coast started, ive averaged 26 miles a week on the treadmill. week 1 of training i ran 33 miles on the tm, week 2 just 26, and this week ive run 18 so far. 3. What was the most mileage you’ve ever completed on the mill in one workout? When? Why? haha i love this question... why?? listen, not everyone hates the treadmill! the most ive ever done on the treadmill was last week when i did 13 miles. and i loved each and every mile! (yes, i know im crazy. we've gone over this before). the workout was 2 miles to warm up at 9:05 pace, 8 miles at goal marathon pace (8:08), 3 miles cool down at 8:57 pace. i felt great the entire time. i brought two gu with me, kept myself hydrated, and wore my new brooks launch shoes that i got last week (nothing like breaking in a new pair of shoes with a 13 mile run!) why did i do this? because it was 0 degrees outside with a wind chill of negative something stupid and i didnt feel like losing any extremeties! maine is cold, yo.
peppermint stick and salted caramel gu... amazing!
(side note: most of the treadmills shut off at 60 minutes so you have to restart them mid workout. some of them, when they shut off at 60 minutes if you press quick start again right away, will continue with where you left off and continue going. but i think i look pretty funny on the ones that shut off and ive already done 7 miles and had one gu and am sweating my ass off and it reads that ive run 1 mile... haha)
4. Do you mill at home, the gym or both? gym. no tm at home.
5. What distractions or entertainment (if any) do you use to help pass the time?sarah! miles sure do go by faster when she is there to gossip with/talk to. if she isnt there i listen to the kickass marathon playlist ive made on my ipod (complete with christmas music!), and people watching is always a good time. there are people ive seen who read while running on the tm... i would certainly fall off trying to do that.
6. If you have a treadmill at home, what kind is it? How old is it? nope. but lets talk about what one i WOULD get... THIS ONE. ya know, for when i have an extra $4,000 laying around.
7. Do you fuel any differently for a treadmill workout than an outside one? nope. i bring my gu with me, just like a normal run. i feel like i have to go to the bathroom more when im on the treadmill than when im outside though, which is weird.
8. Any treadmill mishaps to report?no but im sure i will eventually. im really not that coordinated. 9. Do you mill at incline to compensate for not being outside? nope. and i know i probably should, but whatever. i dont. if i need to go do a hill workout ill do it outside.
10. Describe your perfect (if there is such an animal) treadmill conditions: perfect treadmill conditions? like one that has some hot guy (or girl?) on the machine in front of me? haha... perfect treadmill conditions for us are when there arent a lot of people around us (thats usually not a problem at 4am) so that sarah and i can chat about all the gossip and not annoy anyone around us. we've recently gotten into a problem with one of the gym rats because we have taken over "his" treadmill. dude, what? there are 20 other free treadmills, but youre gonna keep lifting weights until we get off yours? whatever. (and then when he gets on he watches a tv show on his phone, standing on the tm before he starts running). its nice that the treadmills are all situated at the back of the gym against the wall... you can see everything in front of you and just watch people. if it gets too hot (the ventilation at the gym sucks always!) we run in our sports bras. no shame.
**if you havent seen this sweet Zensah giveaway from marcias healthy slice, check it out! i use zensah and pro compression socks and sleeves to recover from all the treadmill miles!
he fits pretty perfectly into 12 month pajamas... his legs and torso are so long! (speaking of pajamas- why do they even make button up ones? all pajamas should be zippers. end of discussion). there are a few 6 month onesies that still fit (im in denial about putting them away), and he is mostly in 9 month clothes and 12 month pants (some we have to roll up the bottoms a little)
were back to having 2 if not 3 naps a day, some shorter/longer than others. he goes to bed between 7 and 8pm (closer to 7 most nights), wakes up at 445am., and is awake just long enough for one of us to be up with him and have some coffee and feed him, and he will go back to bed about 6 or 7am. dear henry- can you please just sleep through that feeding?! (putting him to bed later doesnt help)
henry has 4 teeth, with whites of a fifth showing through yesterday! front two bottom (newest one coming on bottom right), and front two top. he has some struggles with them at first but once they popped through all was fine. unfortunately he grinds his teeth all the time, which just might be the worst noise ever. he loves to laugh and mimic you, and most often sounds like a gremlin haha. he is trying hard to crawl but will only go backwards, and is standing up against things with minimal support. as you can see from this next picture, he rolls and crawls backwards to get to various places-
i left him on the blanket and went to do dishes...
trying to get him to crawl to his toys...
baby gear love
its so funny to look at all of the things we now have piled up in our basement that henry has outgrown in just 8 short months. we rarely use the bumbo seat anymore (im pretty sure he actually doesnt even fit), and i folded up the rock & play sleeper, although we still use it sometimes if he is awake and we need to shower. hen is very fascinated with any toys that make noise or light up (which they ALL do. seriously, invest in batteries if youre ever gonna have kids). we also bought him a walker thing this weekend... so far he can go backwards really well, still working on that forward movement.
we were pretty much homebodies due to christmas time and the cold weather/snow. obviously he went to target and out shopping/to a few restaurants, and had some trips to the grandparents houses. santa also brought hen a sled and weve taken him for a few short rides around the yard!
primarily in size 4, which i feel is ridiculous. the size 3 just dont fit him right due to his long torso. for comparison- henrys cousin ronan, who is 11 months older than him, is wearing size 4!
henry still loves to eat, and he will tell you for sure when he is hungry. feeding him is fun now because he always wants to put his hands in his mouth right after you put the spoon of food in his mouth (and then proceeds to smear the food all over the place/himself). he can also feed himself puffs and little chunks of food (the majority of it ends up on the floor, but one piece gets in his mouth every now and then, and he is so proud when it happens!) he acts just like a little bird when eating... just keeps opening his mouth up for more. we added some new foods this month- black beans, blueberries, cauliflower, apricots, carrots and spinach (still couldnt get myself to puree some chicken). we pretty much combine everything and he eats it all up.
theres really not a lot that this kid doesnt like, which is so cool. he doesnt often like when his bottle is empty (who does?!) and even though hes tired he still enjoys fighting naps. still one very happy baby over here!