**if you havent read the books or seen the movie, do not read any further. youve been warned**
1. i read the trilogy in record time (for me... which maybe means two weeks. i read slow).
2. wednesday night i finished book #1, for the second time. its been awhile since ive re-read a book. (others include, but are not limited to: i know this much is true, brave new world, to kill a mockingbird)
3. i was, and still am, team peeta. book version more so than movie. gale is freakin hot.
4. yesterday was the first time i have been to the movies by myself.
5. it was also the first time i have seen a movie in imax. wow. i wish i had seen batman: the dark knight in imax.
6. about 20 minutes into the movie i moved to the very back row of the theater (there were about 15 people there). i couldnt handle the shakyness closer up with such a big screen.
7. the filming technique was choppy & poor. many reviews seem to agree.
8. i dont think ive ever seen a movie that so fully/accurately captures a book, maintaining plot, sub plots, and characters, as hunger games does. sure there were minor differences (they had to change a few things due to katniss being the narrator in the book and making sure the descriptions were fulfilled) but overall i felt they did a great job. for a pg13 movie.
9. im not sure i would have enjoyed the movie if it was rated R.
10. the movie totally failed at presenting the tributes at the capital before the games. fail fail fail.
11. did i mention the filming was terrible?
12. during the scene when the tributes are taken to the games on the pedestals, the theater i was in kinda went blurry, like it was supposed to be in 3D or something. this lasted about 10 minutes, max. i felt that was a pretty important part in the book, but i couldnt really tell if the movie depicted it quite the same way (book: katniss gets distracted by peeta and misses her chance to run for the center). when we walked out of the theater we were handed a rain check for another imax movie due to the "technical difficulties". cool.
13. i felt like before i knew it peeta and katniss were in the cave and the movie was close to the end. although the movie was 2 plus hours long, i felt slightly unsatisfied.
14. overall i think gary ross did an excellent job of bringing the hunger games to the big screen, but i still recommend the book over the movie, as always. (i dont think i would have liked the movie if i had not read the book first). the movie just wasnt enough. and i hope that if people only see the movie and say they didnt like it, that they give the book a shot. it will maybe take you a day or two to read it.
15. despite my own mental picture of haymitch being more like hagrid (and thats probably only because i am also reading harry potter), woody harrelson was an excellent choice for his character. lenny kravitz too.
16. i thought gale's character sucked at acting.
17. im pretty sure jennifer lawrence will soon be in playboy.
18. i wouldnt let my 10 year old read this. ya know, if i had a 10 year old.
19. i felt like the true & total control of the capital over the games was much more pronounced in the movie than in the book.
20. when does "catching fire" come out?
whether you read the book, see the movie, or both....
may the odds be ever in your favor :)